Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Day Twenty-Five: Routine

Today was not unlike any other day. The set schedule and the lack of juicy highlights or remarkable events could be a good sign for the school year. It was a complete day, and that is so far, so good.

It was as predictable as most weekdays, with a 6 am rise, 6:30 prime, 7:15 Mass, 8 am breakfast, 9 am class, followed by three other classes with a class time of 40 minutes each. Latin is the first class, followed usually by apologetics. They have Church history courses, and others.

Sext is 12:15. Lunch is 12:30, with free time afterward. Classes resumed at 2:30, and Manualia was after. The rosary is at 530pm, and dinner is at 6. Free time and study time last until Compline at 9.

That was the seminarians' day at the seminary.

My days have been different from what the seminarians experience. My home is the kitchen, and most of my time is spent either cooking, preparing the food, or searching through the pantry looking for meal ideas, as well as checking inventory. 

When I am not in the kitchen, I am running errands for Father, or picking up various items from the store. You can't cook food without having food in the first place.

I start lunch right after breakfast, and dinner after lunch. Each meal takes a few hours. The results have been fairly decent, with one or two failures. The priests and seminarians seem to enjoy the meals, which is good for the Cook's morale and confidence.

That is my day at the seminary. It's the story of my thirty days.

So far, so good.

6 comments:

  1. For chilly Autumn evenings:

    I am sharing this favorite recipe for a wonderful soup that my family looks forward to. This is the recipe from a well known restaurant along with my notes.

    1 1/2 cups spicy sausage links
    (my family isn't big on spicy foods, so I use sweet (mild) Italian sausage. I buy it ground or remove it from the casing before I cook it. We just prefer it that way.I cook it in a skillet, instead of in the oven.)

    3/4 Cup Onion- diced

    6 slices of Bacon, crisp
    (Bacon? the more the merrier. I have to be careful not to turn it into Bacon Chowder.) :D

    1 1/2 teaspoon minced Garlic

    2 tbs Chicken Bullion Powder, or 2 cubes, crushed.

    1 Quart Water

    2 Medium Potatoes, sliced up and then halve the slices.
    ( I put in almost twice as many potatoes, cut into spoon-size pieces. Helps balance out the extra bacon..) :)

    2 cups Kale leaves, sliced thinly. Or spinach may be substituted.
    ( I use spinach, usually the frozen kind, since it's mostly pre-chopped. If my family saw kale in the fridge there would be an intervention.)

    1/3 cup Heavy Whipping Cream, or Fat-Free Half&Half.
    (Fat- Free? they must be kidding.)

    Pre-heat oven to 300.Place sausage links on a sheet pan and bake 25 minutes or until done.

    Cool, then cut in slices, then halve the slices. Put onions and bacon in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat until the onions are almost clear. Remove bacon and crumble. Add garlic to onions and cook one minute. Add bullion powder, water, and potatoes. Simmer 15 minutes. ( till potatoes are done- may take longer) Add bacon, sausage, kale, and cream. Simmer 4 minutes and serve. Parmesan cheese would be a good garnish.

    I usually double or triple the recipe for a larger family. Serve with lots of rolls or bread, especially cheesy-bread!

    PS- you might want to make enough for left-overs, since everyone says it's even better the next day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martin, can you tell me when the Fathers give retreats for men? On OLMC I noticed that the last one was given in September. Thank you for your charity and generosity in giving us these insights into the workings of the seminary. May God bless you and the good Fathers for their care of souls. May God bless in particular the dedicated seminarians who have the privilege of training for the priesthood of loyal sons of Archbishop Lefebvre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize for the delay. I believe they are planning the next retreats. I will find out and post the information soon. Thank you and God bless.

      Delete